LinkedIn is the world’s most extensive professional network with more than 530 million users in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. LinkedIn’s vision is to create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce through the ongoing development of the world’s first Economic Graph. The mission of LinkedIn is simple: connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful. LinkedIn began in co-founder Reid Hoffman’s living room in 2002 and launched in 2003.
How Can LinkedIn Help You
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network with hundreds of millions of members and increasing. Their mission is to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful. LinkedIn can help you:
- Establish your professional profile and control one of the top search results for your name.
- Build and maintain your professional network.
- Find and reconnect with colleagues and classmates.
- Learn about other companies, and gain industry insights.
- Find other professionals in the same industry user groups.
- Share your thoughts and insights on LinkedIn’s long-form publishing platform.
- Tap into the knowledge of your network.
- Discover new career opportunities by searching for jobs.
LinkedIn Profile – Overview
Your profile is your LinkedIn page that describes your career history, education, and other related content you may want to publish. LinkedIn has a variety of features that leverage your profile or others’ profiles to help you meet your objectives. A complete LinkedIn profile can help you connect with opportunity. We can help you with a comprehensive LinkedIn Profile makeover today.
Build Your Professional Network
Your professional network is mostly a professional directory specific for each LinkedIn member, made up of the number of professionals they know. You can begin building your professional network by connecting with professional contacts that you know and trust.
To start building your network, consider these tools:
- Invitations: You can send an invitation to a LinkedIn member to ask them to join your network. If they accept your request, they’ll become a 1st-degree connection. Learn how to send an invitation. Note: You may need to enter an email address to send invitations.
- InMail messages: These are private messages that allow you to directly contact any LinkedIn member who isn’t one of your 1st-degree connections while protecting the recipient’s privacy. InMail is a Premium feature and needs to be purchased. Learn how to buy and send InMails.
Find The People You Know On LinkedIn
There are several ways to find people you may know on LinkedIn. You can:
- Import your email contacts and invite them to connect.
- Look through the People You May Know section.
- View our Alumni page to see people who went to school with you.
- Use the Search bar on the LinkedIn homepage.
LinkedIn Company Pages
Company Pages on LinkedIn allows you to explore companies you’re interested in, get the latest company updates and industry news, and learn about new job opportunities.
Through an organisation’s Company Page, you’ll receive a high-level summary of the company along with necessary information such as specialties, size, website URL, industry, and more. You can also discover:
- Company updates on topics ranging from announcements to product releases and industry news
- Friends and colleagues who are connected to the company
- Showcase Pages dedicated to various aspects of the business
- Affiliated Company Pages that links you to subsidiary or related companies
Premium LinkedIn members gain additional insights such as:
- Trends in the number of employees
- Average employee tenure
- Employee distribution and headcount growth by function
- New hires and total job openings by function
To locate a Company Page, merely type the company into the search bar at the top of your LinkedIn homepage and click on their name next to Companies in the drop-down that appears. When you follow a company on LinkedIn, you can view their updates directly on your feed.
Some Company Pages may also have Life and Jobs tabs to provide a personalised look into their company culture and open opportunities.
If you’re an admin for your Company Page, you can edit it and post company updates at any time. Learn more about creating a Company Page for your own company, and feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
LinkedIn Groups provide a place for professionals in the same industry or with similar interests to share content, find answers, post and view jobs, make business contacts, and establish themselves as industry experts.
You can find groups to join by using the search feature at the top of your homepage or viewing suggestions of groups you may like. You can also create a new group focused on a particular topic or industry.
Once you’re a group member, you can explore the latest conversations on the Conversations page, start or participate actively in conversations, and send a free message to a member if you want to reach out to them.
Publishing Articles On LinkedIn
LinkedIn is always looking for new ways for members to contribute professional insights. Their publishing platform allows members, in addition to Influencers, to publish articles about their expertise and interests.
While publishing an article does not mean that you are a LinkedIn Influencer, it does allow you to further establish your professional identity by expressing your opinions and sharing your experiences.
When you publish an article:
- Your original content becomes part of your professional profile. It is displayed in the Articles section of your LinkedIn profile.
- It is shared with your connections and followers in their news feeds, and sometimes through notifications.
- Members that are not in your network can follow you from your article so that your next article will be surfaced in their feeds.
- Your article may be searchable both on and off LinkedIn, depending on your profile settings. Having your public profile visibility set to “everyone” will distribute your articles publicly. Learn more about your public profile settings.
Professional Resume WriterShaun is a professional resume writer, career coach, husband and dad – but not always in that order. With over 20+ years of experience in HR, general and operations management, Shaun shares a wealth of knowledge about recruitment and HR practices with clients, and how it applies to a today’s job market. His mission is to help clients get more interviews and hopefully the role they want. He is a trusted career coach to many clients, from blue collar workers to senior executives and professionals. He always asks clients one question, “Does your resume work?”